The Sforza Castle is a fortification that was built by Count Gian Galeazzo Visconti in the fifteenth century on the remains of a medieval castle of the fourteenth century, the Castle of Porta Giovia.
It was destroyed in 1447 but immediately rebuilt three years later by Francesco Sforza who made it his residence. Ludovico il Moro, on the other hand, took care to make the building sumptuous by calling on artists such as Leonardo Da Vinci and Bramante.
The Spanish used it as a military control point but it was with the order of Napoleon that the castle risked to be destroyed.
The castle has a square plan and was surrounded entirely by a flooded moat; there are five towers: the South and the East face the cathedral, the Falconiera (north) and the Castellana (west) remain on the side of the park. The Filarete Tower, on the other hand, represents the main entrance and on which is affixed the “biscione”, symbol of the Visconti and Sforza families.
Until the 19th century there was the Ghirlanda, a more external fortification to further protect the castle.
Diego Baglieri – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, bit.ly/2D0oOTb
Appassionato fin da piccolo di computer e tecnologia, sono programmatore per lavoro e per passione. Ho una laurea magistrale in Informatica conseguita all’Università di Bologna. Co-ideatore e sviluppatore di Nice Places.