Village of probable Roman foundation. The earliest records refer to the diploma of Henry III in 1055. It was granted to the Bishop Buono and attested as a castle in the bull of Pope Clement III in 1189 and later: in the submission of the Ardengheschi di Civitella to Siena in 1202 where, together with others castelli also includes Vallerano. It was the victim of recklessness by Pisan venture companies in 1322 he rushed to help Massa. In the land registry of 1466 it is no longer attested as a castle but defined as a villa or: open village. In the Roman and medieval period it was known due to the black serpentinite quarries used in large quantities for the construction of the cathedral of Siena and other religious buildings such as the cloister of Torri and numerous churches in the surrounding area and in Tuscany. In recent times its immediate surroundings were the object of research and extraction of copper minerals.