The ancient church of S. Giovanni a Pernina is surrounded by the thick woods of the Montagnola area and located at 499 m. altitude. The name probably comes from the Etruscan name Perna. The church is certified since 1078 in a document confirmed at the bishop’s refectory in Volterra by the part of the Countess Matilde di Canossa. The church is built in a beautiful stone and has retained much of its original structures. It has a basilican plan with three naves divided by four crossings that meet in one single apse. Some capitals are decorated with geometric designs. The outstanding bell tower, about 22 m high, with a squared base and terminal battlements, is situated in front of the facade of the church.