The Abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore is a monastic complex located in the municipality of Asciano, in the province of Siena. The structure houses the seat of the abbot general of the Benedictine Congregation of Monte Oliveto and the territorial abbey of Monte Oliveto Maggiore.
The monastery was founded in 1313 on the initiative of Blessed Bernardo Tolomei. Later it received recognition from the bishop of Arezzo in 1319 and was included in the Benedictine rule. The following year, work began on the construction of the monasterial structures.
Until 1947 the abbey had no dependent parishes. Subsequently, the dioceses of Arezzo and Chiusi-Pienza were aggregated.
Monte Oliveto Maggiore has always enjoyed a special status and the territorial abbey is still a seat of the Catholic Church immediately subject to the Holy See, belonging to the ecclesiastical region of Tuscany. It includes 4 parishes located in the municipality of Asciano: Santa Maria di Monte Oliveto Maggiore, San Florenzo a Vescona and San Giovanni Battista a Pievina.
The monastery complex can still be visited completely today.