The name indicates the existence of a sacred grove of Roman period (Lucus). In 1725 Sir Ventura Venturi, owner of the area, discovered an Etruscan tomb. In 1899 there were other findings (eight chamber tombs carved into limestone). Finally, in 1964, another eighteen tombs have been found by Prof. K. Meredith Philips. The graves are divided into two groups: those cut in the rock with dromoi, central rooms and with benches against the walls, and those consisting of a tomb excavated in limestone or in the ground. The most complex tomb develops for almost 20 meters and is provided with a central corridor along which are eight burial rooms of various sizes. In the explored tombs thirteen coins that look like they were minted between 200 and 150 B.C. were found. Other findings, like bronze fibulas, jars and fragments of craters from Volterra, are preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Siena. Near the cemetery there is a spring, once called Muglione, which, during the Middle Ages, periodically flooded the grounds below and that currently provides drinking water to Siena and Sovicille.