The abbey of Sant'Antimo, located within the municipality of Castelnuovo dell'Abate, in the middle of the Val d'Orcia, is an architectural complex mostly dating back to the late medieval period, between the eleventh and twelfth centuries. However, around the structure there is an interesting legend, according to which the current sacristy was built by Charlemagne in the ninth century and for this reason it is called the Carolingian Chapel. In any case, the analysis of some documents has made it possible to ascertain the existence of the abbey already in 814 AD.
The building of the church as it appears today began in the 12th century, as evidenced by the Carta Lapidaria, an inscription placed on the steps of the high altar that recalls the donation given to the abbey by the Ardengheschi family in 1118. This year marks the beginning of Sant'Antimo's period of greatest splendour.
During the communal period the church suffered a progressive state of abandonment and degradation, a situation that will see the end in 1870, with the beginning of the restoration work by the architect Giuseppe Partini.