Piazza della Libertà, in Florence, was built in the nineteenth century during the works for the creation of the boulevards and marks the northernmost point of the historic center of the Tuscan capital.
A first space belonging to the current area of this square dates back to the 13th century and was known as Piazza di Porta San Gallo.
Starting from this area in 1738 there was a first enlargement with the building of the Triumphal Arch, symbol of the arrival of the Lorraine family in Florence after the fall of the Medici.
The real structural modification took place from 1865, when, after the demolition of the pre-existing walls, the architect Giuseppe Poggi created the present elliptical square, surrounded by stylistically similar buildings, characterized by porticoes in a sober classical style. The ancient gate and the Triumphal Arch were placed in the centre of the new area.
Also the events around the name of the square are not less interesting: in fact, in the nineteenth century it was dedicated to Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour. In 1930 the title was changed and became Piazza Costanzo Ciano, admiral of the regime. At the fall of Fascism, in 1944, the name was transformed into Piazza Muti, to obtain only in 1945 the current name of Piazza della Libertà.