The Medici Chapels are located within the Church of San Lorenzo, which was in fact the church of the Medici until they resided in the palace of Via Larga (now Via Cavour), later becoming the family mausoleum until the extinction of the family.
Initially designed by Filippo Brunelleschi, Giovanni de' Bicci de' Medici, who died in 1429, was the first to express his desire to be buried, together with his wife Piccarda, in the small sacristy.
In 1520, on the initiative of Cardinal Giulio de' Medici, the future Pope Clement VII, Michelangelo began working on the New Sacristy, starting from the plan of Brunelleschi's sacristy. The aim was to erect a mausoleum to give worthy burial to some members of the Medici family, including Lorenzo the Magnificent.
Finally, the Chapel of the Princes was built by the architect Matteo Nigetti between 1604 and 1640, based on a design by Don Giovanni de' Medici. This mausoleum is a rare example of the Baroque style in Florence, whose large dome and sumptuous interior were conceived as monuments to the greatness of the Medici.