Nice Places
Palazzo Re Enzo
Palazzo Re Enzo was built between 1244 and 1246 as an extension of the municipal buildings of the Palazzo del Podestà. Just three years later it became the "residence" of the King prisoner of the Battle of Fossalta, to whom the Palace owes its name: King Enzo of Sardinia, son of Frederick II of Swabia, who spent the next twenty-three years there, until his death in 1272. On the ground floor there were the war machines of the army and the Carroccio, while on the right of the palace there was the access to the chapel of S. Maria dei Carcerati, where the condemned to death went. In the loggia of the first floor were held the meetings of the popular councils. The fourteenth-century Hall (now the Hall of Acts), built by Antonio di Vincenzo in 1386, was later used as the municipal archives, while the top floor underwent extensive renovation in 1771 by G. G. Dotti. The large hall of the Podestà was also used as a public theatre between the 16th and 18th centuries and later as a hall for the ball game.

Near to Palazzo Re Enzo

Other locations from Nice Places