Forte Focardo, or Forte di Capoliveri, is a fortification located between the beach Naregno and Capo Perla. The structure takes its name from the Spanish governor who ordered its construction in the seventeenth century, namely Don Ferdinando Gioachino Foscardo di Roquentes and Zuniga. Like other fortresses of similar structure, always built on the Tuscan island, Forte Focardo was intended to improve the system of defense from possible dangers arising by sea.
Between 1700 and 1800 the Fortress was subject to numerous attacks, both external, brought by the French, and internal, following revolts of the citizens of Capoliveri.
Today the structure, owned by the Italian Navy, cannot be visited internally. It remains, however, easy to admire externally, being located on a rocky ridge overlooking the sea.
Photo: F Ceragioli – Opera propria, CC BY-SA 3.0, bit.ly/2TYoji4
Nice Places ti porta alla scoperta dei luoghi di interesse presenti nelle tue vicinanze, raccontandoti brevemente la loro storia e le loro caratteristiche.
Scarica adesso l’app per Android dal Play Store!