Located between the Town Hall and the Cathedral, in the centre of Piazza IV Novembre, the Fontana Maggiore is one of the most important remaining medieval fountains. Perhaps built to a design by Fra’ Bevignate between 1275 and 1278, it was decorated with sculptures by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano.
The structure consists of two basins, one larger and one smaller. The lower basin, larger, is also the one most decorated with sculptures. This, in fact, is divided into twenty-five sides bordered by groups of three columns. On each side there are pairs of bas-reliefs separated by another column. The sculptures in this part of the Fountain are very characteristic because they show different images: from the creation of man with Adam and Eve, to the representation of the trades to the symbols of Perugia, the Lion and the Griffon.
From the lower basin emerge columns that support the upper basin, at the center of which stands the unadorned bronze basin, probably completed in 1277.
Photo: Nice Places
Appassionato fin da piccolo di computer e tecnologia, sono programmatore per lavoro e per passione. Ho una laurea magistrale in Informatica conseguita all’Università di Bologna. Co-ideatore e sviluppatore di Nice Places.